Saturday, December 6, 2014

Between Barack and a Hard Place




Tim Wise is such a brilliant person and educator and I cannot believe I didn't know about him until I watched his lecture on his book Between Barack and a Hard Place. His open mindset and strong opinion are exactly what people need to hear. In the video, Tim Wise makes funny and understandable statements about how white people unknowingly discriminate. Tim brings up how the white people, who are afraid of the topic of racism, like to say that they have plenty of close relationships with people of color (even though they really don't). Tim then says just because a person has a good relationship with a certain person, it does not mean they do not have different views on that person's race in general.
Tim also talks about his experiences as a kid and being one of the only white kids in his elementary school. He mentions how he witnessed that the school system disciplined students of color more harshly than white people. That part of his lecture reminded me of the silenced dialogue because his stories and facts are what the rules of the culture of power are based on.
After watching his video I wanted to know a bit more about Tim Wise so I googled him and found that he has his own website where he blogs about whatever issues he feels he wants to share about. I've read several of his blogs and will definitely continue to read them. Everything he says I can agree with. It is like he expresses the feelings that I cannot find the best words to express on issues of race.
Here is the link to his website:
http://www.timwise.org/

No comments:

Post a Comment